Thursday, September 10, 2009

Maestas won't run for lt. gov.

Most of the political announcements lately have been from people announcing they are running for lieutenant governor. But Espanola Mayor Joe Maestas said today he won't run for the post.

“After much thought and consultation with my wife, family, friends, and supporters, I have decided not to enter the Democratic primary race for Lieutenant Governor,” Maestas said in a statement.

“As a native New Mexican and longtime public servant, I care deeply about our great state. The need for comprehensive ethics reform and fiscal responsibility in these unprecedented, uncertain, and turbulent times requires bold, experienced leadership at the highest levels of state government. Although I firmly feel that I possess that type of leadership, the time is simply not right for me to enter this race.”

That leaves eight people interested in the race on the Democratic side and two on the GOP side.

No comments:

Post a Comment